HOMEPRODUCTSSERVICESCOMPANYCONTACTFAQResearchDictionaryPharmaMobileSign Up FREE or Login

First case of methemoglobinemia caused by a ClO2 -based household product.

Abstract
When new household products are developed and distributed, new injuries often occur in children. We report the first known case of methemoglobinemia caused by a chlorine dioxide (ClO2 )-based household product. A 1-year-old boy presented to the emergency department with vomiting and poor complexion after accidentally ingesting a ClO2 -based household product. The patient had profound hypoxia that did not respond to oxygen therapy and required endotracheal intubation to maintain a normal oxygen level. Although oxygen saturation (SpO2 ) fluctuated at approximately 95% after intubation, arterial oxygen pressure (PaO2 ) was high on arterial blood gas analysis. We suspected methemoglobinemia based on the gap between SpO2 and PaO2 , and subsequently detected increased methemoglobin at 8.0%. The patient was admitted to the pediatric intensive care unit for further management. After supportive treatment, he was discharged without any complications. He had no cognitive or motor dysfunction on follow up 3 months later.
AuthorsYusuke Hagiwara, Nobuaki Inoue
JournalPediatrics international : official journal of the Japan Pediatric Society (Pediatr Int) Vol. 57 Issue 6 Pg. 1182-3 (Dec 2015) ISSN: 1442-200X [Electronic] Australia
PMID26338044 (Publication Type: Journal Article)
Copyright© 2015 Japan Pediatric Society.

Join CureHunter, for free Research Interface BASIC access!

Take advantage of free CureHunter research engine access to explore the best drug and treatment options for any disease. Find out why thousands of doctors, pharma researchers and patient activists around the world use CureHunter every day.
Realize the full power of the drug-disease research network!


Choose Username:
Email:
Password:
Verify Password: