Acute intravascular hemolysis and methemoglobinemia following naphthalene ball poisoning.

Naphthalene (C10H8) is a natural component of fossil fuels such as petroleum, diesel and coal. The common consumer products made from naphthalene are moth repellents, in the form of mothballs or crystals, and toilet deodorant blocks. Major toxic effects of naphthalene are due to precipitation of acute intravascular hemolysis. Very few cases of naphthalene poisoning and its effects have been reported from India. We report a case of accidental naphthalene poisoning, who presented with intravascular hemolysis and methemoglobinemia.
AuthorsRajan Kapoor, P Suresh, Satish Barki, Mayank Mishra, M K Garg
JournalIndian journal of hematology & blood transfusion : an official journal of Indian Society of Hematology and Blood Transfusion (Indian J Hematol Blood Transfus) Vol. 30 Issue Suppl 1 Pg. 317-9 (Sep 2014) ISSN: 0971-4502 [Print] India
PMID25332608 (Publication Type: Journal Article)

Join CureHunter, for free Research Interface BASIC access!

Take advantage of free CureHunter research engine access to explore the best drug and treatment options for any disease. Find out why thousands of doctors, pharma researchers and patient activists around the world use CureHunter every day.
Realize the full power of the drug-disease research network!

Choose Username:
Verify Password: