HOMEPRODUCTSSERVICESCOMPANYCONTACTFAQResearchDictionaryPharmaMobileSign Up FREE or Login

Knowledge of medical hospital emergency physicians about the first-aid management of traumatic tooth avulsion.

AbstractOBJECTIVE:
The aim of this study was to evaluate the knowledge of emergency medical physicians employed in hospital emergency rooms as to their potential role in the treatment for traumatic teeth avulsion injuries (TTAI).
METHODS:
A 15-item questionnaire was distributed to the emergency rooms of one university and 10 public hospitals. The questionnaire gathered data on the respondents' professional profiles and self-assessed perceived knowledge and actual knowledge of the emergency management of TTAIs.
RESULTS:
The study was implemented with 69 emergency physicians present at their workplaces during the time of data collection. Of these, 55 (79.7%) were employed at public hospitals and 14 (20.3%) at a university hospital. The professional profiles indicated that 47 (68.1%) of the participants were general practitioners and the remaining 22 (31.9%) were distributed among various other medical specialties. Overall, 28 respondents (40.6%) assessed their knowledge regarding medical treatment for TTAI as insufficient, and the majority (78.3%) stated that they would like further education. Importantly, a large majority of practitioners could not provide correct answers to questions related to the emergency management of TTAI.
CONCLUSION:
There is a need to improve the knowledge of emergency medical physicians regarding the emergency treatment for TTAI.
AuthorsAyça T Ulusoy, Hasan Onder, Bengi Cetin, Senay Kaya
JournalInternational journal of paediatric dentistry / the British Paedodontic Society [and] the International Association of Dentistry for Children (Int J Paediatr Dent) Vol. 22 Issue 3 Pg. 211-6 (May 2012) ISSN: 1365-263X [Electronic] England
PMID21883562 (Publication Type: Comparative Study, Journal Article)
Copyright© 2011 The Authors. International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry © 2011 BSPD, IAPD and Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Chemical References
  • Organ Preservation Solutions
Topics
  • Animals
  • Attitude of Health Personnel
  • Clinical Competence
  • Education, Dental
  • Education, Medical
  • Emergency Medicine (education)
  • Emergency Service, Hospital
  • First Aid
  • General Practitioners (education)
  • General Surgery (education)
  • Hospitals, Public
  • Hospitals, University
  • Humans
  • Medical Staff, Hospital (education)
  • Milk
  • Organ Preservation Solutions (therapeutic use)
  • Referral and Consultation
  • Surveys and Questionnaires
  • Tooth Avulsion (therapy)
  • Tooth Replantation

Join CureHunter, for free Research Interface BASIC access!

Take advantage of free CureHunter research engine access to explore the best drug and treatment options for any disease. Find out why thousands of doctors, pharma researchers and patient activists around the world use CureHunter every day.
Realize the full power of the drug-disease research network!


Choose Username:
Email:
Password:
Verify Password: