[Mercury--is it a respiratory tract allergen?].

Mercury is a well-known allergen in dermato-allergology, often manifesting as delayed type hypersensitivity contact eczema. Immediate hypersensitivity reactions (urticaria, anaphylactic shock) have also been described for this allergen, most frequently seen in patients with the delayed type contact eczema. To our knowledge this allergen has not been implicated in production of respiratory symptoms. We describe a patient who had aggravation of asthma by mercury contained in dental amalgam. When the dental amalgam was removed there was a great improvement in his asthma. This observation suggests that mercury in the form of dental amalgam may also be an allergen of the respiratory tract, which should not be surprising, bearing in mind the work that shows the existence of mercury vapours from dental amalgam.
AuthorsM Drouet, J Le Sellin, J C Bonneau, A Sabbah
JournalAllergie et immunologie (Allerg Immunol (Paris)) Vol. 22 Issue 3 Pg. 81, 84-8 (Mar 1990) ISSN: 0397-9148 [Print] FRANCE
Vernacular TitleLe mercure est-il un allergène des voies respiratoires.
PMID2187473 (Publication Type: Case Reports, English Abstract, Journal Article, Review)
Chemical References
  • Allergens
  • Organomercury Compounds
  • Dental Amalgam
  • Mercury
  • Adult
  • Allergens (adverse effects)
  • Asthma (chemically induced)
  • Dental Amalgam (adverse effects)
  • Dermatitis, Contact (etiology)
  • Drug Hypersensitivity (etiology)
  • Female
  • Humans
  • Hypersensitivity, Immediate (etiology)
  • Mercury (adverse effects)
  • Organomercury Compounds (adverse effects)

Join CureHunter, for free Research Interface BASIC access!

Take advantage of free CureHunter research engine access to explore the best drug and treatment options for any disease. Find out why thousands of doctors, pharma researchers and patient activists around the world use CureHunter every day.
Realize the full power of the drug-disease research network!

Choose Username:
Verify Password: