HOMEPRODUCTSSERVICESCOMPANYCONTACTFAQResearchDictionaryPharmaMobileSign Up FREE or Login

Sustained improvement in health-related quality of life measures in patients with inflammatory bowel disease receiving prolonged anti-tumor necrosis factor therapy.

AbstractOBJECTIVE:
The aim of this study was to determine whether the effects of prolonged therapy (≥1 year) with anti-tumor necrosis factor (TNF) agents were sustained on the health-related quality of life (HRQoL) in patients with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD).
METHODS:
A cross-sectional survey of patients with IBD who were treated with anti-TNF agents was performed. Results of the validated HRQoL measures (inflammatory bowel disease questionnaire [IBDQ], EuroQoL-5 dimensions [EQ-5D], health status visual analogue scale [VAS] and the Zung self-rating depression scale) were recorded and compared between patients treated with anti-TNF agents for <1 year and ≥1 year.
RESULTS:
A total of 41 patients were finally enrolled in the study. Among them, 11 (26.8%) had received anti-TNF therapy for less than one year with a median duration of 7 months (range 3-11 months), while the other 30 (73.2%) had been treated for ≥1 year with a median duration of 42 months (range 12-104 months). Crohn's disease was the most common type in both groups. None of the mean IBDQ, EQ-5D and EQ-5D plus VAS, or Zung self-rating depression scale scores differed significantly between the two groups of patients.
CONCLUSIONS:
Improvements in HRQoL for IBD patients on anti-TNF therapy were sustained for longer than one year. HRQoL measures for IBD patients treated with anti-TNF therapy for <1 year do not differ significantly from those treated for ≥1 year, but a trend towards improved HRQoL measures with prolonged therapy can be obtained.
AuthorsMichael Sherman, Donald N Tsynman, Albert Kim, Jyoti Arora, Timothy Pietras, Susan Messing, Lydia St Hilaire, Sonia Yoon, Arthur Decross, Ashok Shah, Lawrence Saubermann
JournalJournal of digestive diseases (J Dig Dis) Vol. 15 Issue 4 Pg. 174-9 (Apr 2014) ISSN: 1751-2980 [Electronic] Australia
PMID24373601 (Publication Type: Journal Article)
Copyright© 2013 Chinese Medical Association Shanghai Branch, Chinese Society of Gastroenterology, Renji Hospital Affiliated to Shanghai Jiaotong University School of Medicine and Wiley Publishing Asia Pty Ltd.
Chemical References
  • Anti-Inflammatory Agents, Non-Steroidal
  • Gastrointestinal Agents
  • Immunosuppressive Agents
  • Tumor Necrosis Factor-alpha
Topics
  • Adult
  • Aged
  • Anti-Inflammatory Agents, Non-Steroidal (administration & dosage, therapeutic use)
  • Cross-Sectional Studies
  • Drug Administration Schedule
  • Drug Evaluation (methods)
  • Female
  • Gastrointestinal Agents (administration & dosage, therapeutic use)
  • Health Status Indicators
  • Humans
  • Immunosuppressive Agents (administration & dosage, therapeutic use)
  • Inflammatory Bowel Diseases (drug therapy, rehabilitation)
  • Male
  • Middle Aged
  • Psychometrics
  • Quality of Life
  • Time Factors
  • Treatment Outcome
  • Tumor Necrosis Factor-alpha (antagonists & inhibitors)
  • Young Adult

Join CureHunter, for free Research Interface BASIC access!

Take advantage of free CureHunter research engine access to explore the best drug and treatment options for any disease. Find out why thousands of doctors, pharma researchers and patient activists around the world use CureHunter every day.
Realize the full power of the drug-disease research network!


Choose Username:
Email:
Password:
Verify Password: