HOMEPRODUCTSSERVICESCOMPANYCONTACTFAQResearchDictionaryPharmaMobileSign Up FREE or Login

Efficacy and safety of 1,064 nm Q-switched Nd:YAG laser treatment for removing melanocytic nevi.

AbstractBACKGROUND:
Until recently, the removal of melanocytic nevi has been performed with a CO(2) laser or Er:YAG laser. These lasers have been useful for removing affected spots. However, enlargement of spots or some sequelae, including depressed or hypertrophic scars, could develop as unwanted results. The Q-switched Nd:YAG laser has been used to remove deep-seated melanocytes, such as Ota nevus or tattoos. However, there have been no previous experiments performed to test the efficacy and safety of this laser treatment for melanocytic nevi.
OBJECTIVE:
The objective of this study was to investigate the efficacy and safety of the 1,064 nm Q-switched Nd:YAG laser for removing melanocytic nevi, including congenital nevomelanocytic and acquired nevomelanocytic nevi.
METHODS:
Two thousand and sixty four Korean patients with small melanocytic nevi were treated with a Q-switched Nd:YAG laser from 2005 to 2009. High-resolution photographs were taken in identical lighting and positions before and after the six weeks of treatment to observe the procedural efficacy.
RESULTS:
About 70% of the nevi treated using a 1,064 nm Q-switched Nd:YAG laser were completely removed after one session. The other 30% were completely treated within three sessions. The appearance of sequelae such as hollow scars noticeably decreased compared to the results seen in CO(2) or Er:YAG laser treatments.
CONCLUSION:
Use of the 1,064 nm Q-switched Nd:YAG laser is a safe and effective treatment modality for melanocytic nevi.
AuthorsYoon Jee Kim, Kyu Uang Whang, Won Bok Choi, Hyun Jo Kim, Jae Young Hwang, Jung Hoon Lee, Sung Wook Kim
JournalAnnals of dermatology (Ann Dermatol) Vol. 24 Issue 2 Pg. 162-7 (May 2012) ISSN: 2005-3894 [Electronic] Korea (South)
PMID22577266 (Publication Type: Journal Article)

Join CureHunter, for free Research Interface BASIC access!

Take advantage of free CureHunter research engine access to explore the best drug and treatment options for any disease. Find out why thousands of doctors, pharma researchers and patient activists around the world use CureHunter every day.
Realize the full power of the drug-disease research network!


Choose Username:
Email:
Password:
Verify Password: