HOMEPRODUCTSSERVICESCOMPANYCONTACTFAQResearchDictionaryPharmaMobileSign Up FREE or Login

Synostosis of the ring-small finger metacarpal in Apert acrosyndactyly hands: incidence and treatment.

AbstractSUMMARY:
This study reports on the incidence of a synostosis between the ring-small metacarpal bases in patients with Apert syndrome and describes a technique to resect the synostosis and insert silicone sheets to improve hand function. Records of 9 patients (18 hands) were evaluated. Average age at follow-up was 9.5 years. Three relationships between the ring-small metacarpals were observed. Type I hands (22%) had no abnormal interconnections; type II hands (33%) possessed a synostosis since birth; type III hands (44%) did not possess a synostosis at birth, but one later developed at average age of 79 months. Total incidence of synostosis was 77%. Five patients underwent excision of the synostosis. At an average of 16 postoperative months, 4 of these patients experienced improvement in hand prehension. In patients with Apert syndrome, resection of abnormal interconnections between the ring-small metacarpals is highly recommended to improve hand prehension based on the high incidence of a synostosis in this region.
AuthorsK D Dao, A Y Shin, S Kelley, V E Wood
JournalJournal of pediatric orthopedics (J Pediatr Orthop) 2001 Jul-Aug Vol. 21 Issue 4 Pg. 502-7 ISSN: 0271-6798 [Print] United States
PMID11433164 (Publication Type: Journal Article)
Chemical References
  • Silicones
Topics
  • Acrocephalosyndactylia (complications)
  • Adolescent
  • Adult
  • Bone Wires
  • Casts, Surgical
  • Child
  • Child, Preschool
  • Female
  • Follow-Up Studies
  • Hand Strength
  • Humans
  • Incidence
  • Male
  • Metacarpus
  • Osteotomy (instrumentation, methods)
  • Silicones
  • Synostosis (classification, etiology, physiopathology, radiography, surgery)
  • Treatment Outcome

Join CureHunter, for free Research Interface BASIC access!

Take advantage of free CureHunter research engine access to explore the best drug and treatment options for any disease. Find out why thousands of doctors, pharma researchers and patient activists around the world use CureHunter every day.
Realize the full power of the drug-disease research network!


Choose Username:
Email:
Password:
Verify Password: