HOMEPRODUCTSSERVICESCOMPANYCONTACTFAQResearchDictionaryPharmaMobileSign Up FREE or Login

Oral administration of fluoroquinolones in the treatment of typhoid fever and paratyphoid fever in Japan.

AbstractOBJECTIVE:
To study the adverse reactions and therapeutic effects of fluoroquinolones to investigate whether they can be used for the treatment of patients with typhoid fever and paratyphoid fever.
METHODS:
The adverse reactions and therapeutic effects of fluoroquinolones were studied retrospectively in patients with typhoid fever and paratyphoid fever.
PATIENTS:
58 patients (54 Japanese) with typhoid fever, 42 patients (41 Japanese) with paratyphoid fever, and 1 Japanese patient with both typhoid fever and paratyphoid fever, who were admitted in hospitals in Tokyo, Kawasaki, Yokohama, Kyoto, and Osaka from 1995 to 1998 and treated with fluoroquinolones.
RESULTS:
Almost 80% of the patients were treated with tosufloxacin (TFLX) and the remaining 20 % were treated with norfloxacin, ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin, or sparofloxacin. Side effects (nausea, urticaria, aphthous stomatitis) and elevation of serum amylase were found in 3.6% and 8.3 % of patients treated with TFLX, respectively, but these adverse reactions disappeared in all of these cases either with or without a change in the drug used. No adverse reactions were found in patients treated with the other fluoroquinolones. The clinical and bacteriological effects of these drugs were adequate.
CONCLUSION:
Though further studies still need to be performed on the fluoroquinolones other than TFLX, we can preliminarily conclude that fluoroquinolones are safe drugs and they can be recommended for the initial therapy of patients with typhoid fever and paratyphoid fever.
AuthorsK Ohnishi, K Kimura, G Masuda, T Tsunoda, M Obana, H Yoshida, T Goto, Y Sakaue, Y K Kim, M Sakamoto, H Sagara
JournalInternal medicine (Tokyo, Japan) (Intern Med) Vol. 39 Issue 12 Pg. 1044-8 (Dec 2000) ISSN: 0918-2918 [Print] Japan
PMID11197787 (Publication Type: Comparative Study, Journal Article, Multicenter Study)
Chemical References
  • Anti-Infective Agents
  • Fluoroquinolones
  • Naphthyridines
  • tosufloxacin
Topics
  • Administration, Oral
  • Adult
  • Aged
  • Anti-Infective Agents (administration & dosage, adverse effects, therapeutic use)
  • Drug Evaluation
  • Female
  • Fluoroquinolones
  • Humans
  • Japan (epidemiology)
  • Male
  • Middle Aged
  • Naphthyridines (administration & dosage, adverse effects, therapeutic use)
  • Paratyphoid Fever (drug therapy, epidemiology)
  • Safety
  • Travel
  • Treatment Outcome
  • Typhoid Fever (drug therapy, epidemiology)

Join CureHunter, for free Research Interface BASIC access!

Take advantage of free CureHunter research engine access to explore the best drug and treatment options for any disease. Find out why thousands of doctors, pharma researchers and patient activists around the world use CureHunter every day.
Realize the full power of the drug-disease research network!


Choose Username:
Email:
Password:
Verify Password: